About the READY initiative
When major disease outbreaks occur, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are often on the frontlines, using their deep connections with affected communities and expertise to support outbreak readiness and response. READY, an initiative funded by USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance and led by Save the Children and a consortium of partners, is supporting NGOs to more effectively respond to major disease outbreaks in humanitarian settings. Through investments in a robust and diverse capacity-strengthening portfolio, knowledge and best-practice sharing, and engagement with key coordination groups to identify and respond to real-time needs, READY is equipping national and international humanitarian NGOs with knowledge and skills to be ready to respond to major disease outbreaks through integrated and community-centered approaches. READY’s approach is integrated, and works to bring together Maternal, Newborn and Reproductive Health, Child Protection, Agriculture and Food Security, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition and cross-cutting issues such as risk communication and community engagement and gender. For more information about READY, visit us at www.ready-initiative.org.
READY seeks a developer to build a streamlined and engaging page on the existing READY website, which is in WordPress. The page will highlight READY-created tools and resources and top external resources for NGOs who aim to become ready to respond to major disease outbreaks in humanitarian settings.
Project objective and scope
The goal for this new landing page is to provide an engaging space for organizations to search for and find the most-relevant sectoral and cross-cutting tools and resources to become operationally ready and technically prepared for an outbreak. We envision a highly usable, engaging and attractive website page for a global audience, that includes dynamic design and search/tag features to allow users to easily find resources. Currently, our resource posts can be tagged and/or put into categories; we would be willing to continue with that approach, but would also be interested in faceted search capability. For reference, the current collections page can be found on READY’s website here.
READY is looking to engage a website developer who will provide expertise in creative website design to execute this new landing page and corresponding resource posts. Specifically, the consultant will:
- Work with the READY team to review the matrix of resources to be included
- Discuss and present a proposal for website design
- Develop the landing page and resource posts on staging
- Test website on mobile devices and across web platforms, including user testing for search usability
- Make changes to the design if necessary, based on user feedback
- Train key READY team members on how to make future resource updates to the page(s).
- Workplan outlining the timeline and main deliverables
- Design proposal with 2-3 options for landing page and resource page for review and sign-off
Landing page (‘curated collections’)
- First draft of landing page for review and feedback
- Second draft of landing page for review and final feedback
- Final landing page that includes user testing feedback
Page template for resources
- First draft of template for resources
- Second draft
- Final page that includes user testing feedback
- Instructions and walk-through with key READY team members
- Knowledge of WordPress content management (preferably using the visual editors “Avia Advanced Editor” and “Elementor”), front-end and back-end development, and html coding required
- 5+ years of professional website design and development experience
- Diverse portfolio of website samples
- Experience translating technical source material into accessible website design
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with global health/infectious diseases preferred.
- Ability to start work immediately and to work across US and UK time zones.
How to apply
To apply for this consultancy, please email Laura Romig, firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, August 29th with the following:
- Resume/capabilities statement
- Examples of relevant previous work, specifically interactive website pages (live examples strongly preferred)
- References: Contact information for three previous clients
- Proposal, including timeline and budget
- Please include a separate line-item for possible content management support, such as uploading files and creating resource posts for the first 30 resources.